Tuesday, January 25, 2011

S&U Excerpt - Do It For The Story

This excerpt is taken from Chapter Five, Do It For The Story

“It is abnormal for a Christian not to have an appetite for the impossible. It has been written into our spiritual DNA to hunger for the impossibilities around us to bow at the name of Jesus.” - Bill Johnson, author of Face to Face

I want to live the best story. The kind that you find in the Bible. The kind that my kids will want to tell their kids. The kind that inspires.

Have you ever wondered why when we were kids the Bible stories read to us were meant to inspire dreams of impossibilities being made possible with God? And yet as adults, the same stories become observations of how it was “once upon a time.” Why is it that the radical miracle stories of my youth found in the Bible have become tamed three point sermons I could intellectually apply to my life now that I am an adult?

When I was a kid it was possible for boys to kill evil giants and men to walk on water. When I was a kid it was possible to live inside a whale, a raging fire and a lions den. When I was a kid it was possible to pray for the sick and watch them recover. Shadows could heal, and the dead could be raised. When I was a kid I believed that with God, all impossibilities were possible.

The best stories are the ones where life’s failures, pains, betrayals, disillusionment's, deaths - where life’s impossibilities become possibilities. If you are reading this and you no longer believe as a child, but everything in you wants to, try this statement on for size. “God, I want to believe that with You all impossibilities are possible. Show me how.”

Now here’s the thing, and I should have warned you first, after you pray this, Gods gonna start inviting you to step into your own uncomfortable, risky, rule breaking story. But it will be good, why, because all of His stories are full of the wonder of His good miraculous love...

No comments: