Monday, November 15, 2010

Well Done

I was driving up to Raleigh to hear Bobby Conner speak. We were broke and I talked to God the whole way. “Hey, did I do the right thing leaving my job? Hey, are You still with me? Have I missed something? Why am I taking this trip, we cant afford it."

When I had been invited to the meetings, I'd asked Karen if I should go. We are a part of the Bethel network out in California and this was being hosted by a Bethel affiliated church. Karen and I felt that we were to be intentional about connecting with Bethel and Bethel people, so if there was a meeting that we could go too, well...

Karen responded to my question with amazing clarity, "Does it take more faith to stay home or go?"

To be honest, I had been pretty good – emotionally, mentally... Regardless of our circumstances, about 85% of the time I was encouraged and believed that I had heard Gods direction and we were in the center of His will. The other 15% of my time was spent trying to live in the 85%. That said, I was experiencing one of those 15% moments. We had just received our last paycheck from CHD and it barley took care of the month and that didn’t include our mortgage that was already two weeks late.

I was driving at about 70 miles per hour on two front tires that absolutely needed to be replaced. Spending the extra money for this trip on gas and food was ridiculous – tires, just stupid…

“I am being so stupid,” I thought … “God, am I being stupid? My kids will want to eat next week. God what am I doing?”

I felt God respond to my heart with “Do you have enough money for today?”

“Well, yes, I guess.” I grudgingly conceded.

After Bobby Conner’s spoke – he is the real deal by the way, he prayed for the group and it was awesome. I felt Gods presence but… and I need to be careful in how I say this because I don’t want to trade Gods presence for anything. It’s the most important, central and sustaining reality of my life – especially today as I write this.

But after the service was over, I found myself with 7 hours to kill before the next meeting. No one invited me out and everyone I spoke with seemed to have something to do. So there I was, alone and I got a little aggressive with God.

“God, it took faith to make this trip. Why am I here! I love Your presence but honestly, I didn’t need to come here to feel it. I can feel You at home. I need tires! Now I have to feed myself and buy extra gas and again – tires! What am I doing here?

God seemed unconcerned; He again responded to my heart by asking the question, “Do you have money today?”

“Yes” I said, slightly distressed and perturbed.

“Then go get tires.” He said to my heart.

I drove to a service center. After I was told two tires would cost $240 installed, I left in search of a Wal-Mart. I found one. I parked in the back parking lot, walked into the service area and bought the cheapest tires available -$140 for two tires installed. I walked back out to the van and proceeded to park it in the service lane directly in front of the garage doors. I got out of the van, handed the keys to the mechanic and then we stood there and watched as the left front tire deflated.

“Do you see this? I asked the mechanic.

“Yeah,” he said, shaking his head. You got somebody driving with you man!”

“Yes I do,” I smiled.

As I walked across the parking lot to wait at the Starbucks that offered free Wi-Fi, I asked God “What does it mean?”

“I got your back.” God replied.

I cried while I walked. There is nothing so sweet as hearing your dad say, “Son, I got you – I wont leave you stranded on the roadside. Your kids will eat.”

As I thanked God for His goodness, I also chuckled while remembering one of the thoughts I had at the service center. When my tire deflated in front of me, the first thought that shot through my mind was, “I got every last moment out of that tire.” I know its a little odd, but there was a sense of satisfaction with that thought. The fact that I hadn’t wasted even an ounce of rubber. I had taken all the ground that tire could handle - even to the last foot. I used it completely. It served me to its absolute last breath…

Well done, tire…

I have heard Bill Johnson say that his entire life is being lived for a 3 second moment with God. He figures that’s about how long it takes to say “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

Driving down the road this morning on new tires, I reflected again on the trip and the flat tire. I don’t know if there was any other reason to take that trip except to know that God has our back. We are learning – even today – that when you truly know and believe God has your back, you can live fully for Him.

So this morning, as I drove, I prayed, "Father, it is my sincerest heart cry that when I see You in heaven, You would have the same satisfied thought I had about my tire. 'I got everything out of Jason. I used him to the absolute last. He took every piece of ground, every mile, every foot he was destined to take. He gave all that he was, well done.' ”


"Northern Lights" link...

4 comments:

Renee' said...

God is soooo awesome! You will never regret living on faith, these kind of God stories only happen when you have nothing left to fall back on except the ONE who's got your back. :-)

Unknown said...

Jason, I saw your message on facebook about your upcoming book and click click I ended up here on your blog. Connections in God's economy are on purpose. Crossing paths with eack other on our Elim layover was on purpose, if only to read this blog post today. The Lord is so gracious to say things to us as many times as we need. No time or room here to explain my journey to this point, but suffice it to say that this little post was a gracious and needed reminder from the Father, through you, to me today. He does have us. In the natural it doesn't always seem so, but in His presence it becomes a reality. "...I don't want to trade God's presence for anything." Blessings to you and your family. I pray for the Father's wisdom, which he will not withhold and his provision which is always more than enough. - John

http://transforminglife.org

Jason Clark said...

Hey John,

Bro, your post just blessed us. Karen and I are absolutely poised for a miracle. We are so ready! And in the middle of our story, its encouraging to know that it has life on it.

One of these days we should connect and trade stories. I just spent some time on your blog, very encouraging and insightful place to hang out!

Bless ya bro!

Jason Clark said...

Rene,

Thanks for the encouragement also, just saw your comment here. Bless you guys!