Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Prone to Love (5) - From Sinner to Saint

The power of the song “Come Thou Fount” is the revelation that we can always know His Love. The song is about a journey to the cross. It is the good news that just keeps getting better. But the song is the begging of a story, not the end. You see, the cross is the launching pad, the foundation, the slingshot that propels us into the victorious, miraculous, greater works existence Jesus modeled and told us we had access to. The cross is only beautiful because of the empty tomb. We celebrate his death because of His resurrection. The power of Love is perfected when sinners become saints. That was the whole point of Jesus death and resurrection - that we would encounter Love and become love.

Jesus never once was “prone to wander” or “prone to leave the God He loved.” He came earth to settle that exact issue once and for all. He came to set us free that we too might see, encounter, and become love; that we might be transformed from prone to wander, to prone to love Him!

I think that if a person sings the line “prone to wander” as a testimony, it is stunning, powerful, life-changing revelation. But when a Christian, as a proclamation, sings those lyrics, they are debilitating and destructive. While the song is brilliant theology for the sinner, it is devastating theology for the saint.

I no longer sing “prone to wander.” I can’t, it’s not true; my Dad said so. Instead, when I sing this beautiful hymn, by faith I agree with how my Father see’s me. I sing, “prone to love you Lord I feel it, prone to serve the God I love.” And I can't help but cry tears of joy while I sing this. Why? Because not only is it the cry of my heart, but because of my beautiful best friend Jesus, it's true!

My journey is a headlong discovery of my Fathers love. There is no greater discovery ever made and I am learning like my grandmother, the discovery of His love sets me free to become love. In fact, my revelation of my Fathers love is what transforms me…

9 comments:

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Been reading S & U so decided to connect with you here Jason. Love your thoughts about this song. The believer has a whole new belief system to consider and to live under its influence. Thanks.

Jason Clark said...

Hey Bill, Nice to meet you! I just discovered your blog. I too am a Back to the Future fan, ha. You have an awesome blog with such a pastors heart. I will be visiting regularly.

Yeah, living in the revelation and power of His love, there's nothing better!

Blessings to you and yours!

Bill (cycleguy) said...

jason: tried to post a response for several days but was told Blogger was down. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I look forward to finishing your book and following up with the DVD series in the future. I am really loving the book.

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Finished the book last night and plan to buy a copy to give to a blogging friend and also to my oldest daughter who lives in Knoxville. I am stirred.

Jason Clark said...

Bill, thanks for the comments and encouragement! I am honored when the book blesses and when someone promotes it. So good to meet you bro!

ninaruth said...

thank you thank you thank you!!!
I always HATED the lyrics to that stanza & I actually sing my own (little rebel that I am, haha, but I do it quietly) in place when we sing that!

Jason Clark said...

Ha, yes! I too have been singing different lyrics for some time... "Prone to love you Lord, I feel it! Prone to serve the God I love!"
Hope you are well lady! Bless ya

ninaruth said...

I am well! Still don't have a vacuum, though, LOL! But God is even giving me favor in the "prison," as He did with Joseph! In the meanwhile, I could tell I'd gotten my feet a bit dusty circling 'round the desert of some old religious habits when I popped in for a quick peek to see what you were writing these days on the blog & found an OASIS of Truth that I had forgotten! Phew!!!! :-)

Jason Clark said...

Awesome, yay God! I pray for a new vacuum and all the blessing that come with it!